For most of my childhood, I thought I hated sweet potatoes. As it turns out, I just didn’t like my sweet potatoes with marshmallows. This easy dairy-free sweet potato casserole is just like the classic, but with a crispy topping instead of marshmallows.
This recipe is also fully tested vegan, egg-free, nut-free, soy-free, and gluten-free. If you don’t need gluten-free, you might also like the oat crumble topping on our Vegan Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe. If you don’t need egg-free, I’ve got you covered with an egg option in the recipe notes.
This dairy-free sweet potato casserole recipe with photo was shared with us by Enjoy Life Foods.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Sweet Potato Casserole
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, vegetarian, and generally top food allergy-friendly.
We have included an egg option for those of you who can eat eggs. If you confuse eggs with dairy, you’re not alone! See this post: Are Eggs Dairy?
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- ⅔ cup lightly crushed crispy rice or cornflake cereal
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds or sunflower seeds, chopped
- ½ cup + ½ cup brown sugar, divided
- ⅓ cup + 2 tablespoons oil (can sub dairy-free buttery spread), divided
- 3 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- ½ to 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, to taste
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon salt, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and lightly grease a casserole dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the water and ground flaxseed, and let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Put the cereal, seeds, ½ cup brown sugar, and oil in a medium bowl, and stir until the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- In a mixing bowl, blend the sweet potatoes, remaining ½ cup brown sugar, flax mixture, remaining 2 tablespoons oil, cinnamon, and salt.
- Spread the sweet potato mixture evenly in your prepared casserole dish.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are heated throughout.
- Evenly sprinkle on the topping and bake for 10 more minutes.
Pingback: How to Gobble Up the Best Allergy Free Side Dishes - Kitchology, Inc
Pingback: Allergy friendly Thanksgiving side dishes
Pingback: Welcome Back Wednesday!??? | Moderate Minded Mama
Pingback: A Dairy Free Thanksgiving! | Hold the Milk Please!