This rich, dairy-free sweet potato pie recipe was originally adapted from a beloved recipe on Allrecipes. We opt to bake the sweet potatoes for more natural sweetness and flavor, reduce the added sugar, and swap in lite coconut milk for a seamless finish. We originally posted this recipe way back in 2006, but recently gave it another test run and update! Fortunately, good recipes never get old.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Sweet Potato Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, and vegetarian.
To keep it traditional, this dairy-free sweet potato pie recipe does use eggs. If you confuse eggs with dairy, you’re not alone. See this post: Are Eggs Dairy? If you need an egg-free and vegan version, enjoy this Vegan Caramel Sweet Potato Pie.
- 1 pound sweet potatoes
- ½ cup dairy-free buttery spread
- ⅓ cup firmly packed brown sugar(can sub coconut sugar)
- ⅓ cup cane sugar (can sub coconut sugar)
- ½ cup lite coconut milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 1 (9-inch) unbaked dairy-free pie crust (use a gluten-free crust, if needed)
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF and line a rimmed baking sheet with a piece of foil.
- Prick the sweet potatoes several times and place them on your prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are very tender.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350ºF.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them open and scoop all of the flesh into a mixing bowl. Add the buttery spread and beat with a hand mixer until relatively smooth. Add the sugars, coconut milk, eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Beat with your hand mixer on medium speed until mixture is smooth.
- Pour the filling into the unbaked pie crust.
- Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of the pie comes out clean. The pie will puff up a bit like a souffle and sink a bit as it cools.
- Let the pie cool completely at room temperature and then refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours or overnight.
Key Pantry Supplies: Dairy-Free Sweet Potato Pie