Go Dairy Free has been around for more than 15 years, so we have a lot of recipes up. Sometimes we end up with a recipe variation or two, but we actually had three separate recipes posted for tofu sour cream specifically! So today, I’m replacing them all with my favorite version, which is from my flagship book, Go Dairy Free: The Guide and Cookbook. While I love my Cashew Sour Cream Recipe, this plant-based Tofu Sour Cream is a wonderful option that I lean on in a pinch.
Tofu Sour Cream is Easy, Cheap, Healthy & Deliciously Dairy Free
I call this recipe “Silken Sour Cream” in my book, because it has a wonderful, light but creamy finish. It also uses pantry ingredients, and takes just minutes to make, so it’s a great recipe to have on hand even if you typically buy (dairy-free!) sour cream.
Some vegan sour cream alternative recipes just use lemon juice for flavoring. I find it to be unbalanced, so I use a combination of lemon juice and apple cider vinegar, along with salt and just a smidgen of sweetener to take the edge off. The flavor is slight sharp at first, but the flavors come together as the tofu sour cream sits in the refrigerator.
Also, it’s important to use firm silken tofu. I use Mori-Nu, which gives you that nice, smooth consistency. They also sell soft and extra-firm silken tofu, but you want to use firm specifically, for the right thickness. This product is shelf-stable, but some stores sell it with the refrigerated tofu. Once home, it will keep in your pantry until expiry.
Special Diet Notes: Tofu Sour Cream
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 (12-ounce) package firm silken tofu
- 1 tablespoon oil (see Oil Note below)
- 2 to 4 teaspoons lemon juice, to taste
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar or sweetener of choice
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Put the tofu, oil, lemon juice, vinegar, sweetener, and salt in your food processor or blender. Process until the mixture is smooth and creamy, about 1 minute.
- Transfer the tofu sour cream to an airtight container. It can be used immediately, but if time permits, refrigerate it for a few hours (or overnight) to allow the flavors time to meld. It will keep for up to 1 week in the refrigerator.