This easy vegetable beef soup slow simmers for over an hour to develop its wonderful homemade flavors. It’s a naturally dairy-free, optionally gluten-free meal that every home cook should have in their arsenal. The recipe is very similar to our other vegetable beef soup, but with a few upgrades.
Special Diet Notes: Classic Vegetable Beef Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
- 1 pound rump roast
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth (gluten-free, if needed)
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 4 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 6 ounces rotelle pasta (gluten-free, if needed)
- Trim the fat from roast and cut the meat into 1-inch cubes. Place the meat in a large pot over medium heat with the oil, onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until the meat is browned and the onion is tender.
- Pour in the water, broth, and tomatoes. Stir in the mixed vegetables, mushrooms, and celery. Season with oregano, thyme, basil, parsley, and cayenne. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer 75 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the pasta is tender.