This High-Protein Vegetarian Frittata recipe is adapted ever to slightly from Vegetarian Times. They shared the recipe with us way back in 2006. Their classic version uses asparagus and bell pepper, but feel free to mix up the vegetables based on what’s in season and what you have on hand. This dairy-free frittata is great with green beans, spinach, broccoli – you name it!
Please note that this is a classic frittata recipe made dairy-free and vegetarian, but not vegan. It does contain eggs. If you confuse eggs with dairy, you’re not alone! See this post for a full explanation: Are Eggs Dairy? If you need an egg-free recipe, see our Vegan Tofu Frittata Recipe. If not, enjoy this dairy-free vegetarian frittata recipe …
Special Diet Notes: High-Protein Vegetarian Frittata
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and vegetarian.
- 4 ounces extra-firm tofu, drained and cubed
- 1 large egg
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt (can sub 1 teaspoon gluten-free tamari)
- ⅛ to ¼ teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups chopped asparagus (can sub other vegetables)
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper strips (can sub other vegetables)
- ½ cup onion, cut in rings
- 1½ teaspoons olive oil
- Put the tofu in a medium bowl and mash it with a fork. Add the egg and egg whites, turmeric, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Add the tomato sauce to a small saucepan over low heat. Gently warm it.
- Put the asparagus, bell pepper, and onion in a steamer basket and steam until just tender, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add the vegetables to the tofu-egg mixture and stir to combine.
- Heat the oil in a 9-inch skillet over medium-high heat until it sizzles. Tilt the skillet to coat it evenly.
- Pour in the tofu-egg mixture all at once, and then reduce heat to medium-low. As the eggs begin to set up, push the cooked portion aside with a spatula to let the uncooked portion run under. Repeat as the eggs set up. Cook until the eggs are cooked throughout but still glossy and moist, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Flip the frittata onto a plate and serve with the warm tomato sauce.