Sometimes I need a special dairy-free dessert for a date night or intimate dinner party. And this luxurious dark chocolate souffle recipe is perfect – it’s easy, yet impressive.
The original recipe with photo was shared with us by Filippo Berio, an olive oil brand that I’ve purchased for years! Their extra-light olive oil is neutral in flavor, so it works in almost any baking application.
Their Dark Chocolate Souffle recipe did use a touch of dairy, but coconut cream is a seamless swap. You’re just using a small amount, so it won’t dramatically affect the overall flavor profile. For a visual explanation of coconut cream, see my Guide to Coconut Milk.
Special Diet Notes: Dark Chocolate Souffle
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / n0n-dairy, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. It might work with aquafaba in place the eggs, but we haven’t a vegan version.
- Preheat your oven to 375ºF and grease two (6-ounce) ramekins with olive oil and dust with sugar.
- Melt the chocolate, ½ tablespoon olive oil, and coconut cream together in a double broiler. Let cool.
- Put the egg whites in a mixing bowl and beat with a hand mixer until soft peaks form.
- Whisk the egg yolks into the cooled chocolate mixture. Fold in the egg whites, ¼ cup sugar, and cream of tartar.
- Divide the chocolate batter between your prepared ramekins.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Serve warm and garnish with fresh berries, if desired.