Rich and chocolaty are two words that you definitely want to hear when talking about brownies, and this recipe doesn’t disappoint. Infused with a double dose of chocolate (triple if you so desire!) these delightful vegan brownies from So Delicious will be loved by all chocoholics.
What many people don’t realize is that chocolate, cacao, is naturally dairy-free. This means that plain cocoa powder (not hot chocolate mix) should always be dairy-free, and many brands are even processed on dairy-free lines.
Unfortunately, this isn’t always the case for prepared chocolate bars and chips. Many brands have dairy milk ingredients added (even the dark and semi-sweet ones!), and most are made on shared lines with milk chocolate. For those with severe milk allergies, allergen-friendly chocolate chips do exist. If trace amounts of dairy aren’t a problem for you (we’re talking parts per million – just a wee little bit!), then check the labels, as many brands, including generic store brands, are dairy-free by ingredients and will be a welcomed addition to this vegan brownies recipe.
For a triple-dose of chocolate, don’t hesitate to use chocolate coconut milk beverage in place of the original. It will add a bit of sweetness, too, so you may want to use just a scant cup of sugar if going the extra chocolate mile.
Special Diet Notes: Double Chocolate Vegan Brownies
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan / plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (can sub whole wheat pastry flour, if desired)
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup vegetable or grapeseed oil
- ¾ cup maple syrup (I use grade B)
- ½ cup So Delicious® Dairy Free Original Coconut Milk Beverage (use Chocolate Coconut Milk Beverage for a triple dose!)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a medium-sized bowl, stirring well to fully incorporate the cocoa.
- In a mixing bowl, blend the together the sugar, oil, maple, coconut milk beverage, and vanilla. Fold in the dry ingredients stirring just a few times to incorporate without over-mixing. If some small lumps remain, that' okay. Gently fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spread the batter evenly in your prepared pan and bake for 35 minutes.
- Let the brownies cool completely before cutting to avoid crumbling.