This recipe for dairy-free coconut cupcakes was an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest with So Delicious in 2014. It was created and submitted by Pam Correll. Today, we’re giving it a big update, so that you can enjoy the recipe for Easter, spring, and beyond.
Dreamy Dairy-Free Coconut Cupcakes with Coconut Oil Frosting
These perfect vegan and dairy-free coconut cupcakes are infused with coconut milk beverage and shredded coconut. We’ve also added an option to Pam’s recipe to use coconut oil, for even more flavor. And the frosting is made with coconut oil, so no margarine or shortening required!
But keep in mind that coconut oil is much more heat sensitive than those other fats. So you’ll want to serve them at a cooler room temperature to avoid melting.
Reader Raves for this Recipe
Melissa H. made these cupcakes, and shared the following feedback with us via Facebook:
Made these! Soooo good! Thanks for sharing.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Coconut Cupcakes
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1⅓ cups sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain or unsweetened coconut milk beverage
- ⅔ cup non-GMO canola oil or your baking oil of choice (see Editor's Note below)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- ½ cup + 2 cups shredded coconut (Pam uses unsweetened)
- ½ cup coconut oil, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 5 tablespoons plain or unsweetened coconut milk beverage
- Preheat your oven to 350°F and line 18 muffin cups with paper cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk beverage, oil, vanilla, and vinegar.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry mixture and stir to combine. Fold in the ½ cup shredded coconut.
- Fill the cupcake liners ⅔ full with the batter.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until the tops spring back when lightly touched. Remove the cupcakes from the pans and cool completely.
- Depending on the temperature, you may have to soften the coconut oil. It should be soft, but not melted. Beat the coconut oil with an electric mixer until smooth. Beat in the powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat in 3 tablespoons of the milk beverage, and add more as needed. If the coconut oil melts to much, chill it for a few minutes in the refrigerator.
- Use a pastry bag to pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes. Sprinkle with the remaining 2 cups shredded coconut.