Do you need a naturally dairy-free and plant-based side dish that’s easy to throw together with ingredients from your cupboard? These easy baked beans don’t require any dairy alternatives, and the recipe literally takes 5 minutes to throw together. Just let them simmer while you handle other chores, or set-it-and-forget-it in the slow cooker.
Easy Baked Beans from the Pantry with Slow Cooker Option
Unlike your average baked bean recipe, this one has a secret ingredient: apple butter. It’s naturally allergy-friendly, but adds richness and a sweet flavor that melds very well with the other ingredients. The recipe also includes cayenne, which you can adjust up or down, for a little contrasting heat to the taste.
These easy baked beans are perfect for picnics, potlucks, and barbecues, but can also pair well with a weeknight meal, or add protein and flavor to lunch bowls. They are made with three types of beans for a pretty tricolor effect, or whatever beans you have in your cupboard!
This easy baked beans recipe was shared with us by Musselman’s.
Special Diet Notes: Easy Baked Beans
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup apple butter (store-bought or homemade)
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup honey or agave nectar (for vegan)
- 2 tablespoons minced dried onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, to taste
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can great northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can red or pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Preheat your oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the apple butter, ketchup, water, sweetener, onion, cumin, salt, and cayenne until well-combined.
- Stir in all three types of beans until evenly coated.
- Pour the beans with sauce into a 2-quart baking dish.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
These sound PERFECT. I love baked beans and have missed them! Going to try this. 🙂