This recipe for easy coconut cream pie was originally submitted by reader Jane, for a recipe contest that we hosted in 2011. We’ve since modified her ingredients and instructions for improved results. It’s now infused with even more coconut goodness and will set up like a normal pudding pie. If you want an even thicker pie, use full-fat coconut milk rather than light. And yes, most varieties of Jell-O pudding and pie filling are actually dairy free. The coconut cream flavor is even made without other top allergens.
Special Diet Notes: Easy Coconut Cream Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, optionally vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 box Jell-O Pudding-Cook & Serve Coconut Cream Pudding & Pie Filling
- 1¾ cups light coconut milk (not coconut milk beverage)
- 1 graham cracker crust pie shell (see below)
- Whipped Coconut Cream (store-bought or homemade), optional for topping
- Toasted shredded or flaked coconut, for topping
- Follow the package directions to make the pudding, but use 1¾ cups light canned coconut milk in place of the milk.
- Pour the pie filling into the prepared pie shell. Let cool.
- Refrigerate the pie for at least 3 hours, or until set.
- Optionally top with whipped coconut cream. Sprinkle with toasted coconut before serving.