We’ve received some requests for a Dairy-Free Beef Stroganoff recipe. I decided to unearth–and update–my favorite version (originally called “Skid Road Stroganoff”) from Peg Bracken’s The I Hate to Cook Book. This quick and easy recipe uses ground beef instead of sirloin, making an inexpensive weeknight meal.
Mama’s Favorite Dairy-Free Ground Beef Stroganoff
Peg Bracken made a career of writing simple recipes for reluctant cooks, complete with humorous asides. This very recipe contains one of her most-quoted directions:
Add the flour, salt, paprika, and mushrooms, stir, and let it cook 5 minutes while you light a cigarette and stare sullenly at the sink.
I’m not suggesting you follow these directions to the letter, but I do recommend her books. They are worth reading for the humor alone. I truly enjoy her recipes, though, and have found many staples in her cookbooks.
I was able to make her beef stroganoff dairy-free with a few simple substitutions. I also added a vegan option. I hope you enjoy this quick and easy dairy-free ground beef stroganoff, and I hope you read some Peg Bracken.
Special Diet Notes: Dairy-Free Ground Beef Stroganoff
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally egg-free, optionally gluten-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, optionally vegan, and optionally vegetarian. Just be sure to choose the noodles, bouillon, protein, and yogurt or sour cream alternative that suit your dietary needs.
- 16 ounces egg noodles (can sub egg-free noodles or gluten-free noodles, if needed)
- 2 teaspoons dairy-free beef bouillon or vegetable bouillon (I like Orrington Farms)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons oil (a neutral-tasting one for general cooking)
- 1 pound ground beef, turkey, or vegan ground meat substitute
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1¼ cups dairy-free condensed soup, such as Alisa's Dairy-Free Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup or her Healthy Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup from Go Dairy Free (page 291).
- 1 cup dairy-free plain unsweetened yogurt or dairy-free cashew sour cream
- Chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Begin boiling a pot of water for the noodles.
- Add the bouillon to the water.
- When the water boils, add the noodles and cook according to the package directions.
- Drain the noodles and keep them warm while the stroganoff cooks.
- Brown the onion, garlic, and meat or meat substitute in the oil.
- Add the flour, salt, paprika, and mushrooms to the meat mixture.
- Cook everything together for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the dairy-free condensed soup and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Keeping the heat on low, add the dairy-free yogurt or sour cream and heat through. The yogurt or sour cream might split, but it will still taste good.
- Serve the stroganoff on top of the noodles.
- Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
- Refrigerate any leftovers.