This easy enchilada sauce is the perfect ingredient for this vegan enchilada bake! But it can be used in any of your favorite enchilada recipes that call for a red sauce. It’s super-fast to prepare and it uses ingredients that you might already have in your pantry.
If you want a little more seasoning in your enchilada sauce, you can double the cumin, garlic powder, or onion salt (or all three). Or you can increase the chili powder by up to 1 tablespoon. But taste test it before adding more fire to the mix!
Special Diet Notes: Easy Enchilada Sauce
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
For gluten-free enchilada sauce, you can substitute your favorite all-purpose gluten-free flour blend or sweet white rice flour.
- ¼ cup non-GMO canola oil or your favorite cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons New Mexico or California chili powder
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 to 1½ cups water, as needed
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion salt
- Salt, to taste
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, stir in the flour and chili powder, and cook while stirring constantly for about 1 minute. You want to cook the flour a little, but do not burn it.
- Gradually stir the tomato sauce into the flour mixture until smooth. Stir in 1 cup water, cumin, garlic powder, and onion salt continue cooking over medium heat for 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly. If it thickens too much, whisk in more water until it reaches your desired consistency.
- Taste and season with salt, if desired.
Everything You Need to Make Easy Enchilada Sauce