This recipe for easy vegan coconut cream pie was originally submitted by reader Jane, for a recipe contest that we hosted in 2011. We’ve since modified her ingredients and instructions for improved results. It’s now infused with even more coconut goodness and will set up like a normal pudding pie. If you want an even thicker pie, use full-fat coconut milk rather than lite. And yes, most varieties of Jell-O pudding and pie filling are actually dairy free. The coconut cream flavor is even made without other top allergens.
Special Diet Notes: Easy Vegan Coconut Cream Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, optionally vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1 box Jell-O Pudding-Cook & Serve Coconut Cream Pudding & Pie Filling
- 1 (14-ounce) can lite coconut milk (NOT coconut milk beverage)
- 1 pre-made vegan pie shell or dairy-free graham cracker crust (see Note below)
- Whipped coconut cream (store-bought or homemade)
- Toasted shredded or flaked coconut, for topping
- Follow the package directions to make the pudding, but use the canned coconut milk in place of the milk.
- Pour the pie filling into the prepared pie shell. Let cool.
- Refrigerate the pie for at least 3 hours, or until set.
- Top with whipped coconut cream, and sprinkle with toasted coconut before serving.
Graham Cracker Crust Options: Not all graham cracker crusts are dairy-free, but most are. We like Arrowhead Mills Crusts. And though graham crackers usually contain honey, several crust varieties are strictly vegan. For gluten-free, dairy-free and soy-free, look for an option like Mi-Del Gluten-Free Graham-Style Crust.