If you want to add a little zest to your barbecue or picnic, then I highly recommend this easy vegan key lime pie recipe. It’s a light cream pie and cheesecake hybrid, that requires minimal cooking, and just minutes of preparation. The hardest part is waiting for it to set up!
Vegan Key Lime Pie is a Zesty Dessert You Can Easily Make Ahead
Of course, key limes are the best thing to use in this pie, and they’re still in season (throughout summer and early fall). If you can’t get your hands on key limes, you can use regular limes. Or try Meyer lemons for a flavor twist!
This recipe for vegan key lime pie was an entry in our March Recipe Madness Contest many years ago. It was created and submitted by CJ Leavens and Joey Conway, who used to do cooking videos under as the Sugar Bakers. They’ve since moved on, but their fast and easy dessert recipe is still here to enjoy. And today, we’ve giving it an update!
Special Diet Notes: Vegan Key Lime Pie
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. You can also make this recipe gluten-free with a gluten-free, vegan pie crust. Dairy-free options are easy to find, but gluten-free crusts often use eggs.
- 8 ounces dairy-free cream cheese alternative
- ¾ to 1 cup sugar, to taste
- ½ cup fresh squeezed key lime juice (about 4 to 6 limes), plus zest for garnish
- ½ cup unsweetened or plain dairy-free milk beverage
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons non-GMO cornstarch
- 1 regular prepared vegan pie crust (not deep dish; vegan graham cracker pie crust recommended)
- Dairy-free whipped topping (optional)
- Put the cream cheese alternative, ¾ cup sugar, key lime juice, milk beverage, starch, and vanilla in your blender and puree until smooth. Taste, and add more sugar, if needed, to achieve your perfect sweet-tart balance.
- Pour the mixture into a pot and bring it to a boil over medium heat.
- Scrape the mixture into your prepared pie crust and let it cool. Refrigerate until set.
- Top with dairy-free whipped topping and sprinkle with key lime zest, to serve
Great recipe, except for the fact that you forgot to put a sweetener. As is it would be horribly bitter. You need to add about a cup of sugar and then it’s delish.
(Born and raised in the Florida Keys, home of the original key lime pie.)
Yikes! I double-checked the submission from the contest and indeed, they did not include sweetener. Updated with 1 cup. Thanks Sunny!
You’re welcome! I’m making this pie again tonight. Thanks a bunch!