Baby Squash and Chorizo Saute
Author: Patricia DiGiacomo
- 1 pint baby squash
- ½ cup chorizo (about 2 ounces)
- Olive oil
- 5-7 Roma tomatoes or three cups of cherry tomatoes
- One onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- Prepare the veggies: Rinse the baby squash and remove any stems. Slice the onion into large chunks and mince the garlic. Chop the tomatoes into large chunks.
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil to the pan.
- Saute the onion and garlic until the onion is tender, approximately 5-7 minutes. Add the chorizo and continue to saute, stirring occasionally, until the chorizo starts to brown. Add the baby squash and tomatoes.
- Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer for 30-40 minutes.
While the chorizo in this dish does not make it the lowest fat dish in the world, you can also substitute ground turkey breast and some spices and add a little more olive oil to the pan. Since my goal with this recipe was to see if I could eat squash, I am happy adding a little chorizo to allow me to eat the squash. In the future, I will gradually reduce the chorizo and see if the recipe still works for me.