Levana Kirschenbaum is well known for both her kosher and dairy-free cuisine. This Beer-Braised Wild Mushroom Tempeh Stew was a wild creation that she trialed at a recent demo. It was a huge success! In fact, so many people requested the recipe that she opted to share it with the public.
Levana teaches ongoing cooking classes in New York City. To check out a class schedule, visit her website at www.levanacooks.com. Levana also shares several of her recipes on her blog, and in her elegant cookbook, Levana’s Table. This 5-star gem is filled with incredible recipes and beautiful full-color photos!
Special Diet Notes: Beer Braised Wild Mushroom Tempeh Stew
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 large red onion, sliced thinly
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb shiitake mushroom caps
- ⅓ cup dark miso paste
- ½ lb any other mushrooms, cubes
- ¼ cup hijiki (seaweed)*
- 2-3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 sprigs tarragon
- 1 bunch chives, sliced thin
- 2 12 ounce cans beer
- 2 lb tempeh, cut into inch cubes
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Ground pepper, to taste
- Bring all but the last ingredient to boil in a wide pot.
- Reduce to medium and cook covered for 1 hour.
- Add ground pepper and stir.
- Serve with brown rice or other grain.