This wonderful cajun jambalaya recipe was posted by Denise Hall, and reprinted with the permission of the Well Fed Network. I was unable to confirm the ingredients of Kitchen Bouquet. If it is unappropriate for certain diets, then give Gravy Master a try instead.
Special Diet Notes: Cajun Jambalaya
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
- ¼ cup peanut or canola oil
- 1 lb center cut pork chops, cubed, trimmed of all fat
- 1 lb chicken breast, cut into strips, trimmed of all fat
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1-1/2 cup onions, chopped
- 1 cup bell pepper, chopped
- ½ cup green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/4 cup long grain rice
- 3-1/4 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 beef bouillon cubes (Gluten-Free)
- 1-1/2 tablespoon Kitchen Bouquet or Gravy Master (gluten-free) browning sauce
- Season the pork and chicken with salt and black pepper. Fry the pork and chicken in the oil in a heavy cast-iron pot or Dutch oven until cooked through, turning frequently; reduce the heat. Cover and cook over low heat for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the pork and chicken mixture to a bowl using a slotted spoon, reserving the pan drippings.
- Saute the onions, bell pepper, green onions and garlic in the reserved pan drippings until the onions are tender. Return the pork mixture to the pan and mix well. Add the rice, water, hot sauce, salt, red pepper, bouillon cubes and Kitchen Bouquet and mix well. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat.
- Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Bake, covered, at 300 degrees for 45 minutes. Remove the cover and bake for 20 minutes.