This Louisiana inspired dish comes from Denise Hall of Fit Fare. The 1/3 less fat Smart Balance, or any brand of Earth Balance should work well in this dish, while keeping your crawfish etouffee dairy-free.
Special Diet Notes: Crawfish Etouffee
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, and peanut-free.
- 2 tablespoon dairy-free margarine, such as Smart Balance
- 1 lb Louisiana crawfish tails
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning, such as Tony Chachere’s (more or less to taste)
- 1 onion, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoon green onions, chopped
- Season crawfish tails with Creole seasoning.
- Melt margarine in heavy sauce pan and saute crawfish for 3 minutes.
- Remove crawfish from pot with a slotted spoon into a bowl.
- Add onions, bell peppers and garlic to pan and saute for 10 minutes.
- Add back crawfish to the vegetable mixture.
- Dissolve cornstarch in cold water.
- Stir into pan with crawfish and vegetables and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve over rice and garnish with green onions.