Dairy-Free Meat Pie
Thanks to Sarah at No Whey Mama for this great recipe. It is originally from her neighbor, Tracy (who is a saint per Sarah). Tracy delivered it to us assembled but unbaked, so we could cook it when we wanted to. We served it with applesauce and green beans. It is sooo good. I can't wait to make it myself.
Author: Sarah Hatfield
- 1 lb+ ground beef
- ⅔ lb pork sausage (Tracy recommends Jimmy Dean.)
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon sage
- black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon beef bouillon
- ½ cup water
- Brown meat and add a sprinkle of minced, dried onion. Drain off fat, reserving about 1 tablespoon.
- Mix together with egg, poultry seasoning, sage and black pepper
- Set aside.
- To the reserved pan drippings add cornstarch, beef bouillon and water
- Boil down for a few minutes into a gravy. Add the gravy to the meat mixture.
- Put the filling in a double-crust pie (Pillsbury refrigerated crust is dairy free).
- Brush the top crust with egg white and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds. (Optional, of course.)
- Bake at 425 for 40 minutes.
* Use caution in selecting your ingredients if dealing with a nut allergy