This kid-friendly recipe for easy barbecued beef sandwiches comes from Erika Waz of Tummy Treasure and Kids Cuisine. Erika professed her surprise and delight at how this meal turned out, but says it is a touch on the sweet side. To adjust, she suggests using just a bit less cola, or a brand that isn’t quite as sweet from the get go.
If you are seeking to keep the recipe gluten-free, nut-free, and/or soy-free, choose your ingredients accordingly since some are pre-made foods.
Special Diet Notes: Easy Barbecued Beef Sandwiches
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optional gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
- 4 pounds boneless beef round steak, trimmed of fat, cut into pieces
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup cola-flavored carbonated beverage
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 24 sandwich buns (wheat or gluten-free), split
- Arrange beef in a 3½ to 4 quart slow cooker. Add all the remaining ingredients, except buns. Mix well.
- Cover. Cook on high setting for 5 to 6 hours.
- About 30 minutes before serving, shred the beef with 2 forks — remove it from the pot if needed to do this, then slide it back into the juices.
- With a slotted spoon, spoon about ⅓ cup beef mixture into each bun. Mixture can be kept warm for several hours on low setting.