By Ralph Villers of Fit Fare – We made oven fries on this night, but you can also serve with rice, or pasta if you prefer. With the scallops we had a side of salad greens and a crusty French baguette. A good wine to pair with the scallops is a Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand.
Special Diet Notes: Broiled Scallops
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, and peanut-free.
- 1 lb. sea scallops (there were 7)
- ¼ cup bread crumbs, plain or seasoned
- ½ small onion, diced
- 1 small celery stalk, diced
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- 1 roasted red pepper, diced
- 1 lemon
- ¼ cup white wine
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon dairy free margarine or butter alternative
- dried thyme (to taste)
- Heat oil in a 10-inch non-stick skillet. Add garlic, onion and celery and cook until soft. Add roasted peppers, bread crumbs and thyme and combine with softened vegetables. Cook for several minutes, squeeze fresh lemon on top. Set aside.
- Place scallops in a shallow casserole dish, add salt and pepper to taste. Pour wine around the scallops and cover with cooked mixture and drop small pieces of butter on top.
- Put under a broiler preheated to high temperature. Broil for about eight minutes.