Recipe by Jaden Hair, Cook Smarter
Special Diet Notes: Grilled Skirt Steak with Saffron Rice
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
- 2 lbs skirt steak, cut into 3”- 4” pieces
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 3 ½ cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 1 pinch saffron threads soaked in 2T hot water for 10 minutes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Marinate the skirt steak in the above ingredients for up to 12 hours.
- Pre-heat your BBQ grill. Grill steaks 4-5 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness of the steaks and how you like your steak done. Generally 4 minutes each side for medium-rare. Let the meat rest for 5 minutes on your cutting board.
- Important: Cut across the grain. Lay one of the steaks in front of you, with the grain running left to right. Cut across all the fibers of the grain. Cut each steak into ¼” inch thin slices. Since how you cut is so crucial to the tenderness of the steak, I like to cut all of the meat first and serve on a platter.
- Wash and drain the rice.
- Put rice, broth, saffron + soaking water and salt in a 4-qt pot. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once it starts boiling, immediately cover and turn to low heat.