Foods Matter – When I wrote this ham kebab recipe we had had nothing but rain for three weeks – I hope that by the time you read it you will be able to barbecue the ham in the garden!
Special Diet Notes: Ham Kebabs
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
- 1 lb 10 oz piece of ham
- 2 level tsp cumin
- grated peel and juice 3 large limes
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- vegetables and fruit for the kebab sticks - we used red and yellow peppers, zucchini and fresh pineapple but feel free to use whatever you prefer, or what suits your diet
- Cut the ham into bite-size cubes.
- Mix the cumin with the lime peel and juice and the maple syrup in a bowl just big enough to take the ham.
- Add the ham, mix well, cover and leave to marinate for 24 hours, turning every now and then so all the ham gets bathed in the marinade.
- Cut up the vegetables and fruit that you are using and string them onto kebab sticks with the ham pieces.
- Cook on a barbecue or under a grill basting with the remaining marinade.
300cals – 31g protein
16g total fat – 5g sat / 7g mono / 3g poly
9g carbohydrate of which 8g sugar
1g fibre – 1481mg sodium / 3.7 salt
GOOD SOURCE OF:
Vitamins B1, B3, B6 & C
The above recipe was reprinted with the permission of Foods Matter Magazine, a UK (available online in the US) magazine for food allergies and intolerances.