Special Diet Notes: Red Lentil Dal
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped or crushed)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1-2 tablespoons curry powder, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 1 cup small red lentils
- 3 cups water
- 2-3 bay leaves, to taste
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 15 ounce can chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- In a large saucepan, saute garlic until fragrant. Add onions and cook until they begin to soften. Add curry powder and salt to taste, and cook over medium heat until the mixture begins to brown.
- Add a cup of small red lentils and stir for a minute or so before adding three cups of water, the bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Bring to boil, then turn the heat down very low and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add chopped tomatoes, and simmer another 10 minutes, until thick. The lentils should be soft and the consistency just liquid enough to pour. Add coconut milk and lemon juice. Stir through, and remove from heat.
- Serve over rice with lime pickle and mango chutney.