This unique Steak with Orange Sauce recipe was shared with us by Pacific Natural Foods. It’s full of nutritious ingredients and comforting Asian flavors. It’s also a great dairy-free and allergy-friendly main dish. You can even make it gluten-free with tamari.
Special Diet Notes: Steak with Orange Sauce
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, and peanut-free. For soy-free, you can sub coconut aminos for the soy sauce.
- 2 oranges
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce or wheat-free tamari (for gluten-free)
- 2 tablespoon brandy
- 2 pounds top round beef steak
- 4 cups + 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame or peanut oil
- 2 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 2 shallots or 3 green onions, diced
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- Remove the peel from 1 orange with a vegetable peeler. Cut the peel into thin strips. Cut second orange in half and juice.
- Combine 2 tablespoons of the orange juice with the soy sauce and brandy. Add the steak and turn to coat. Cover and let stand for 30 minutes.
- Bring the 4 cups water and sugar to boil in saucepan. Add peel and cook 5 minutes then drain.
- Remove the steak from marinade; reserve marinade. Pat steak dry; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add ginger and garlic; cook 1 minute.
- Add steak and cook 7 minutes. Remove ginger and garlic.
- Turn steak; cook 6 to 7 minutes for medium-rare. Remove steak; add beef broth, scraping up brown bits.
- Add red pepper, onions, red pepper flakes and reserved ginger and garlic; cook 2 minutes. Dissolve cornstarch in remaining 1 tablespoon water. Stir into pan with marinade; bring to boil. Add orange segments with remaining juice; cook 2 minutes. Stir in cilantro and orange peel.