Special Diet Notes: Steamed Tofu with Mushroom Sauce
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- ¼ cup toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons minced or grated fresh ginger
- ½ cup sake (liquor stores)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon bottled hot sauce
- 2 pounds extra firm tofu, cut into 1″ cubes
- 1½ pounds shitaki mushrooms, caps only
- 6 scallions, sliced thin
- ⅓ cup dark miso paste
- Put the first set of ingredients in a wok or skillet large enough to accommodate your steamer, and bring to a boil.
- Place the tofu and mushrooms in the steamer, and place in the wok.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium high, and steam 10 minutes.
- Arrange the tofu and mushrooms in a platter, remove the steamer.
- Reduce the liquids in the skillet to about ⅔ a cup (this should only take 2-3 minutes), and stir in the miso and scallions.
- Pour over the dish.
- Serve hot.