This sweet-and-sour chicken has been altered ever so slightly from The Mom and Me Cookbook by Annabel Karmel.
Special Diet Notes: Sweet-And-Sour Chicken
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, and peanut-free.
- 8 ozs. diced chicken breast
- ⅔ cups carrot matchsticks
- 1 cup sliced baby corn
- 1 cup trimmed green beans
- 1 cup white rice (we opted for brown)
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1½ tablespoon corn starch
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon dairy-free milk beverage
- black pepper
- 4 tablespoons chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons superfine sugar
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Make the sauce by mixing together all the sauce ingredients in a bowl
- Beat together the batter ingredients in another bowl
- Dip the chicken in the batter, and then fry it in 2 tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Remove from the pan.
- Next, stir-fry the carrots, baby corn, and beans in the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil for 4 minutes.
- Add the sauce and boil for 1 minute. Then add the chicken and green onions and heat through.
- Spoon a helping of sweet-and-sour chicken on top of a bed of rice.