This Thanksgiving Meat Loaf recipe was published by Katie Vaughn of the Quad City Times.
Special Diet Notes: Thanksgiving Meat Loaf
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, and vegetarian.
For vegan: use an egg substitute like Ener-g.
- 2 eggs (or equivalent egg substitute)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, tamari, or liquid aminos
- 1 box medium firm silken tofu (350 g)
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts
- 1 packet vegan dried onion soup mix (1.5 oz)
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 11/2 cups chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- 2 cups chopped mushrooms (use portabella mushrooms for a heartier taste)
- 11/2 teaspoon each of oregano and basil
- ½ teaspoon sage
- 11/2 cups bread crumbs
- Mix egg substitute, soy sauce, tofu and onion-soup mix together in blender. Add walnuts and blend until smooth. Sauté vegetables until onions are transparent (add other diced vegetables if desired, i.e. peppers, carrots, etc). Add herbs/spices while vegetables are frying. Mix blender ingredients, cooked vegetables and bread crumbs together in a large bowl. Press into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let cool slightly. Turn loaf out and slice.
- Variations: To make it stick together better, try lowering the bread crumbs to ¾ cup and adding one of the following: 1 extra box of tofu, 1 cup of instant mashed potato flakes, 1½ cup cooked brown rice or 1 cup hamburger-style crumbles.