This tuna burgers recipe is from Levana Kirschenbaum, author of the cookbook, Levana Cooks Dairy-Free!
Special Diet Notes: Tuna Burgers with Chipotle Sauce
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large vidalia onions, sliced very thin
- 2 pounds ground tuna (meat: substitute bison, lean beef or turkey)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 6 hamburger buns, split open (I recommend you experiment with sprouted bread buns: Ezekiel, gluten-free, etc....)
- 2 beefsteak tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 2 canned chipotle peppers, with 2 tablespoons of the liquid
- ½ cup ketchup
- 4 large cloves garlic
- 6 sprigs cilantro
- Salt to taste
- Heat the oil in a skillet, and add the onions. Cook, covered, over medium heat, until brown, about 20 minutes.
- Set aside. Preheat the broiler (or the grill, if you are cooking outdoors). Combine the meat and the ground pepper. Form about 6 patties about 1-inch thick. Broil about 2 minutes on each side for medium-rare.
- Put the buns under the broiler, split side up, for about one minute.
- To serve, spread some of the onions on each bun, and top with a hamburger, sliced tomatoes and a dab of chipotle sauce.
- Puree all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Store in a glass jar in the refrigerator. Makes about 1 cup.