This simple, dairy-free Tuna Noodle dish is made on the stove top rather than baked. But you can top it with breadcrumbs and bake it casserole-style, if preferred. And don’t be afraid to add some more flavors, like onion, garlic, or vegetables that you have on hand. This is a basic versatile recipe that is ready for your customization!
Special Diet Notes: Tuna Noodle Un-Casserole
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and optionally gluten-free.
- 2 tablespoons non-hydrogenated dairy-free margarine (such as Earth Balance or select varieties of Smart Balance)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (plain or gluten-free)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (170g) can tuna (flaked is easiest)
- 1-1/2 cups frozen green peas
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 6 cups cooked pasta (regular, whole wheat, or gluten-free), drained but not rinsed
- Melt the dairy-free margarine in a skillet or pot over medium heat.
- Add the flour, whisking until no lumps remain.
- Add ¼ to ½ cup of the chicken broth and whisk until smooth.
- Slowly whisk in the remaining chicken broth.
- Add the flaked tuna, and bring to a boil while continuing to whisk.
- Once boiling, add the frozen peas, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the sauce reaches your desired thickness (just takes a few minutes).
- Whisk in the black pepper and stir in the cooked noodles until they are well-coated in the sauce.