Over the summer, I shared the news that Erin McKenna has opened her 4th gluten-free, vegan bakery location. That’s fantastic news for Southern California residents. But what about those of us who are nowhere near there, or her other two shops in Orlando and New York? Fortunately, Erin has shared many of her recipes for us to try at home, including these gluten-free vegan Cinnamon Toasties.
Cinnamon Toasties to Savor by the Sweet Gluten-Free & Vegan Slice
Erin originally presented this Cinnamon Toasties recipe on the Martha Stewart show, but we were granted permission to share it here back in 2007. Today, we’re giving the post a big update, because it seems like a perfect, top allergen-free back-to-school recipe. Don’t you think?!
Cinnamon Toasties Ingredient Options
Oil – Erin uses non-GMO canola oil, but you can use your favorite neutral-tasting oil for baking. I typically use rice bran oil or extra-light olive oil (not extra-virgin), but safflower oil is another popular option.
Flours and Starches – In her bakery, Erin uses Bob’s Red Mill products. You might be able to substitute their Gluten-Free All-Purpose Baking Flour for the flour and starch blend in this recipe.
Sugar – Erin simply uses “unrefined sugar,” which is still regular sugar. She isn’t referring to coconut sugar or evaporated cane juice, which are much darker. You can substitute one of those, but the flavor will be a little less sweet with some caramel-like notes.
Special Diet Notes: Erin McKenna’s Cinnamon Toasties
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, nut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1 cup garbanzo fava bean flour (it's a flour blend of garbanzo bean and fava bean flours)
- ½ cup potato starch
- ¼ cup arrowroot starch
- 1 cup + ¼ cup unrefined sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 2¼ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup hot water
- ½ cup oil, plus additional for brushing
- ⅓ cup store-bought unsweetened applesauce
- Preheat your oven to 325°F and grease a 7x4-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, starches, 1 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon cinnamon, baking powder, salt, xanthan gum, and baking soda, salt, xanthan gum.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the hot water, ½ cup oil, and applesauce. Add to the flour mixture, and stir until combined.
- Remove ⅓ cup of the batter to a small bowl. Pour the remaining batter into your prepared loaf pan. Stir the remaining ¼ cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon into the reserved batter. Add it to the loaf pan and it into the main batter.
- Baker for 20 minutes. Brush the top of the loaf with oil and continue baking until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Let the loaf cool completely on a wire rack before carefully removing it from the pan.
More Recipes from Erin McKenna
Online you can enjoy her popular Raspberry Spelt Scones (we made them blueberry) and her well-loved Mini Cupcake Brownies (also called Brownie Bites). Those recipes are also gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free, soy-free, egg-free, and vegan!
Erin also has all of the following baking cookbooks available:
- BabyCakes Covers the Classics: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes from Donuts to Snickerdoodles
- Bread & Butter: Gluten-Free Vegan Recipes to Fill Your Bread Basket
- BabyCakes: Vegan, (Mostly) Gluten-Free, and (Mostly) Sugar-Free Recipes from New York’s Most Talked-About Bakery