This recipe for crispy coated schnitzel is a “30 minutes or less” entry in the Fast & Fresh Dairy-Free Time Trials Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Nancy Diana. For soup base, she uses Coconut Milk Beverage and a garnish of Coconut Milk Yogurt from So Delicious.
Nancy says, “My comfort foods are soft, creamy, mushy…soup fits that category nicely for me. This red pepper and tomato soup is a great lunch or first course for dinner or sipping in a mug while relaxing on the couch. It is very very low in fat, nutritious and flavorful.”
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/dairy-free-time-trials-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Red Pepper and Tomato Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded, diced small
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-1/2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage or Almond Plus Protein Almond Milk
- 5 cups tomato juice or vegetable juice (which is tangier)
- ¼ to ½ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Plain Cultured Coconut Milk (yogurt), for garnish
- In a large preheated pot add oil, onions, peppers, chili, and a sprinkling of salt.
- Cook on medium heat to soften the onions for 3 minutes. Add the flour and stir into the mixture. It will clump and look messy, continue to stir "cooking" the flour mixture for 1 minute or so. This is called a roux.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking continuously to incorporate into the flour mixture. It will begin to thicken immediately. Stir vigorously so mixture doesn't become lumpy. If it creates lumps don't worry about it as you will puree it.
- Taste for salt & pepper and continue cooking the white sauce for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the tomato juice, stir to combine and continue cooking for 20 minutes or until the colour deepens. Skim off any foam that forms on top while cooking.
- Puree in a blender/processor.
- Divide between bowls and swirl 1 tablespoon Cultured Coconut "yogurt" through each serving of soup.