I have to sneak in another stone fruit recipe before the summer slips by. This amazing fresh apricot recipe is so perfect on a hot day. I’ve enjoyed it a few times after coming back from the beach or a good hike.
Last week, in my other fresh apricot recipe post for a Summer Spiced Apricot Smoothie (creamy and more of a meal!), I mentioned the low calorie, nutrient density of apricots. However, I failed to mention how awesome apricots are for us dairy-free folks.
You see, fresh apricots are rich in Vitamin A – in fact, the beverage below has about 3650 IU of Vitamin A (all in that great carotenoid form), or 73% of the average daily requirement. According the to the World’s Healthiest Foods, “While vitamin A is best known for its vital role in vision, Vitamin A also participates in physiological activities related to the immune system, maintenance of epithelial and mucosal tissues, growth, reproduction, and bone development.” Yes, strong bones depend on much more than calcium, so enjoy this summer fruit!
Of course, if apricot season has passed, you can use any delicious stone fruit in this recipe.
Do you have a refreshing favorite on a hot summer day?
- 4 to 5 pitted ripe fresh apricots (the riper, the sweeter)
- ⅓ cup water, or more as needed
- 3 pieces crystalized ginger, or to taste
- Sweetener to taste (I used a dash of pure stevia extract - honey, sugar, agave, or liquid vanilla stevia would go nicely, too)
- 1 cup ice, or as much as you like
- Place the apricots, water, and ginger in your blender, and process until relatively smooth.
- Add ice and sweetener to desired taste and texture. If you have a wimpy blender like mine, pulse the ice several times to help break it up. Also, the thicker you make the beverage, the more those wimpy blades will be able to grab the ice.