This pea soup shooters recipe is an “appetizer” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Becca Buckley. To add creaminess, she adds Dairy-Free Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Fresh Pea Soup Shooters
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and tree nut-free. It’s also optionally vegan and vegetarian. Just use caution and read the ingredients when selecting a broth for your dietary needs.
- 3 leeks
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock (for vegan)
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen peas
- Pinch baking soda
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ⅔ cups So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Coconut Milk Beverage
- So Delicious Dairy Free Plain Greek-Style Yogurt, for serving
- Pink peppercorns, for garnish
- Cut leeks in half lengthwise, slice into ¼-inch half-moons (whites and lower green parts only), and place into colander. Run under water, separating the layers to wash away all the trapped dirt.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, add the leeks and cook over medium-low heat for 5 to 10 minutes, until the leeks are tender. Add the stock, peas, and pinch of baking soda. Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer and cook 7-8 minutes, until peas are tender. Add spinach and stir until wilted (the spinach really brightens up the color). Off the heat, add the basil, salt, and pepper.
- Puree the soup in batches. If a super smooth texture is desired, strain soup through mesh strainer. Chill.
- Whisk in the So Delicious Coconut Milk, and top with a dollop of So Delicious Greek-Style Yogurt and freshly ground pink peppercorns.