These gluten-free oatmeal squares are perfect for back to school lunch boxes! They are free of top allergens (yes, they are even safe for peanut- and tree nut-free policies), and spiked with oats for a hint of health in a delicious treat.
These gluten-free oatmeal squares offer a mere taste of the goodies in Chrystal Carver’s new cookbook, Sweet & Simple Gluten-Free Baking: Irresistible Classics in 10 Ingredients or Less.
Sweet & Simple Gluten-Free Baking contains 75 gluten-free recipes, most of which are rich with dairy, including butter, milk, and cream cheese. But Chrystal has gone out of her way to test dairy-free options for many of the recipes. 45 of the recipes in Sweet & Simple Gluten-Free Baking have a tested dairy-free option using dairy alternatives (like these gluten-free oatmeal squares) and a few are even naturally dairy-free, including the:
- Chocolate Vegan Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Cupcakes
- Coconut Macaroons
For more information and easy gluten-free recipes from Chrystal, visit her blog at www.glutenfreepalate.com.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Gluten-Free Oatmeal Squares
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free (see note), vegan, vegetarian, and generally top food allergy-friendly.
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour blend*
- 1 cup certified gluten-free quick-cooking oats
- ⅔ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup dairy-free margarine (1 stick - such as Earth Balance), room temperature
- 10 ounces strawberry, raspberry or blackberry jam
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Position the oven rack in center of oven. Grease a 9x9-inch pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine the flour blend, oats, brown sugar and baking soda. Cut in the margarine until the flour mixture looks crumbly. Reserve half of the crumbly flour mixture for the topping.
- Press the remaining flour mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread fruit jam on top. Sprinkle the remaining flour mixture on top of the fruit jam.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Remove the pan from the oven and cool on a wire rack. Cool completely before cutting into bars.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container at room temperature.