This recipe for a vegetable-packed garden barley bowl is an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, created and submitted by Kim Van Dunk. Her recipe includes Almond Plus Protein Almond Milk by So Delicious Dairy Free.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: www.godairyfree.org/news/spring-fling-dairy-free-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Vegetable Garden Barley Bowl
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian. Note that barley is wheat-free, but not gluten-free.
- 1 cup uncooked pearled barley
- 4 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Almond Plus Protein Almond Milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- ¾ cup raisins
- 1 cup shredded carrot (using largest holes on a box grater)
- 1 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 cup (packed) finely chopped kale leaves
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2¼ cups diced (1/4-inch chunks), cooked sweet potato*
- Place the uncooked barley and almond milk into a pot. Slowly bring to a boil. Cover; reduce heat to low. Cook for 30-40 minutes. Be sure to check the pot regularly and stir. The almond milk can easily boil over if the heat is too high. The barley should be tender and plump but not mushy. There will be some liquid that remains unabsorbed. Place the barley into a colander. Rinse under cold water. Place in a large bowl.
- Stir in the frozen peas and raisins, followed by the carrot, onion, and kale.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic salt, and black pepper. Pour the dressing into the barley and stir well to coat.
- Gently fold the sweet potatoes into the barley.
- Serve immediately or chill for 1 hour.