Yesterday we shared Sarah’s Skillet Cookies, and today it’s Skillet Cake! Unlike the cookies, this dessert is baked after the simple stove-top prep. But it’s still a very easy and impressive, upside-down delight.
This gingerbread apple skillet cake recipe with photo was shared with us by the United Sorghum Checkoff Program.
Unlike many gingerbread recipes, this apple skillet cake uses sorghum syrup instead of molasses. Sorghum syrup is a popular Southern sweetener that is a slightly thinner and described as just a little more “sour” than molasses. It’s used more often as a syrup (like in iced tea or atop biscuits), but can be used in place of molasses in baking for a flavor twist.
Sorghum syrup is sold among the other liquid sweeteners in stores, but may be hard to find in some areas. However, it is readily available online. Golden Barrel is a popular brand, but Pure Kentucky and Amish Sorghum are good buys for value sizing.
Special Diet Notes: Gingerbread Apple Skillet Cake
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, and vegetarian.
For a gluten-free apple skillet cake, you can use your favorite gluten-free baking blend in place of the all-purpose flour. I recommend using one that does have some binder in it, like Bob’s Red Mill 1:1.
For an egg-free and vegan apple skillet cake, you can use your favorite egg replacer in place of the egg. I recommend powdered egg replacer or 1/4 cup applesauce, dairy-free yogurt, or aquafaba.
- ¼ cup dairy-free buttery spread or coconut oil
- ¼ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup sorghum syrup (sorghum molasses; see note sin post above)
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 2 large firm apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- ½ cup dairy-free buttery spread or sticks (can use oil, if needed)
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup sorghum syrup
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- To make the topping, melt the buttery spread or oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet,. Stir in the brown sugar, sorghum syrup and pecans. Evenly layer the apple slices over the sugar mixture.
- To make the gingerbread, add the buttery spread, sugar and egg to a mixing bowl and cream with a hand mixer. Mix in the sorghum syrup.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, ginger, cloves, and salt together.
- Slowly stir the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients in your mixing bowl. Add the hot water and mix well. Pour the batter on top of apples.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the gingerbread springs back lightly when pressed with a finger. Remove the skillet from oven and invert onto a heatproof serving plate.
- Serve the skillet cake warm or cold. It's very good with coconut whip or dairy-free vanilla ice cream.
More Holiday Cake Recipes
Cranberry Red Velvet Cake with “Cream Cheese” Frosting (vegan & nut-free)
Pumpkin Apple Pie Cake (vegan, gluten-free & top allergen-free)
Smoky Chipotle Gingerbread Cake (vegan & soy-free)