This gluten-free blinis recipe is an “appetizer” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Becca Buckley. For moisture and topping, she uses Greek-style Dairy-Free Cultured Coconut Milk (yogurt) from So Delicious.
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Gluten-Free Blinis
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan and vegetarian.
For tree nut-free and gluten-free blinis, omit the macadamia nuts in the salsa.
- ½ fresh pineapple, peeled, cored and finely diced
- 2 tablespoon minced cilantro
- Zest of 1 lime
- ½ tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- ¼ cup toasted macadamia nuts, chopped
- ½ cup sorghum flour
- ½ cup potato starch
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1-1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Plain Greek-Style Yogurt, plus more for garnish
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons non-hydrogenated dairy-free margarine
- Combine salsa ingredients together.
- Preheat oven to 200ºF.
- Combine sorghum flour, potato starch, xanthan gum, sugar, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in small bowl. In separate medium-sized bowl, whisk yogurt, and vanilla together. Gently fold flour mixture into yogurt until incorporated.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of margarine in a large skillet over medium-low heat until margarine sizzles. Place tablespoon amounts of batter evenly in a skillet (I prefer using a cookie scooper), cover, and cook for about 2 minutes (covering the pan creates an oven that helps set the tops and make them easier to flip). Tops should appear dry, bottom should be golden brown.
- Gently flip blinis and cook, uncovered, until bottom is gold brown, about a minute. Transfer to wire rack. Place rack on a sheet pan and place pan in oven to keep warm. Repeat with remaining batter, using remaining margarine as needed.
- To serve, place about a teaspoon of yogurt on top of each blini and top that with a spoonful of the pineapple salsa.