This recipe for dairy-free and gluten-free blueberry muffins is an entry in our Spring Fling Dairy-Free Recipe Contest, created and submitted by Danielle Bell. To qualify, the recipe includes Coconut Milk Beverage and Coconut Milk Yogurt by So Delicious Dairy Free.
For more details about the recipe contest, see this post: www.godairyfree.org/news/spring-fling-dairy-free-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Gluten-Free Blueberry Muffins
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian.
Cashew Meal/Flour: Though Trader Joe’s sells this, cashew flour can be hard to find in other stores. Fortunately, it takes just 30 seconds to make! Simply put raw cashews in a spice grinder and whiz for about 30 seconds – viola! Perfect cashew meal for making nutritious dairy-free and gluten-free blueberry muffins.
- ½ cup tapioca starch
- ¼ cup coconut flour*
- ¼ cup sorghum flour
- ½ cup cashew meal or flour (see note in post above)
- ¾ cup coconut sugar (or sweetener of choice)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅓ cup walnut oil (or any mild oil)
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Unsweetened Vanilla Coconut Milk Beverage
- ½ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Plain Coconut Milk Yogurt (either Greek-syle or regular)
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 cup frozen blueberries (do not thaw)
- Turbinado sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Spray a 12 count muffin pan with non-stick spray.
- Combine all dry ingredients together, except for the turbinado sugar, in a large bowl and whisk thoroughly.
- In a small bowl mix together the oil, eggs, coconut milk, yogurt and lemon extract and whisk until combined. Add the wet ingredients to the dry. Stir in the frozen blueberries and mix until they are well distributed within the batter.
- Using an ice-cream scoop or spoon add the batter to the muffin pan. After distributing the batter evenly use your fingers to gently put a pinch or two of turbinado sugar on top of each muffin.
- Place the muffins in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until the muffins are brown on top and firm to the touch.
- Let sit in the pan for at least five minutes before removing. To remove easily use a butter knife to trace around each muffin and enjoy!