This recipe for gluten-free carrot cake is a “dessert” entry in the So Delicious Dairy Free 3-Course Recipe Contest, submitted by reader Fiona Verdon (Age 17!). For the cake, she uses Coconut Milk Beverage from So Delicious.
Fiona says, “I thoroughly enjoyed making this gluten-free carrot cake recipe for the SO Delicious contest and would like to give a special thanks to everyone involved. I had a little SO Delicious cooking party with my friends and we really loved all the products, you’ve definitely got some new fans! I totally see coconut in a new light now!”
For more details and to enter the recipe contest, see this post: https://www.godairyfree.org/news/so-delicious-dairy-free-3-course-recipe-contest
Special Diet Notes & Options: Gluten-Free Carrot Cake with Dairy-Free Cream Cheese Frosting
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, peanut-free, and vegetarian. It’s also optionally egg-free, vegan, and soy-free.
- 2 cups coconut sugar
- 4 eggs or egg replacers
- 1 cup oil (leave out if you prefer it to be more like a snack energy bar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 Cups gluten-free baking flour
- 1-1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ cup So Delicious Dairy Free Coconut Milk Beverage
- 3 cups shredded carrots
- ⅔ cup chopped walnuts
- ⅓ cup mixed nuts
- Handful of raisins
- 1 container of vegan cream cheese
- ⅔ cup dairy-free margarine
- 1-1/5 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup honey roasted almonds
- ¼ cup shredded coconut
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- Grated carrot
- Herb for decoration
- Extra small decorations I added: a few goji berries, blueberry, pomegranate seed, a few pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease pans and place a circle of parchment paper on the bottom of the pan.
- Cream sugar and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add oil and vanilla. Beat until smooth.
- In a separate bowl combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to the sugar and eggs. Combine well. Add in milk. Stir in carrots, nuts, and raisins. Pour into pans. Bake for 45 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove cake layers and let cool completely on wire racks.
- Combine margarine and cream cheese, begin whipping on medium. Add the sugar gradually. Add vanilla and whip until icing is smooth and creamy.
- Once the cake is completely cool, frost and top as desired.
Pingback: 7 Winning Dairy-Free Recipes for Appetizers, Mains and Desserts!
Could you give the volume for the “1 container of vegan cream cheese” so that I can make sure I am using the correct amount? Thank you!
Most brands are 8 ounces.
Pingback: Paleo Diet has you eating like a caveman – WVEC.com (subscription) | The Paleo Diet Recipe Cookbook
What about kids who are allergic to eggs, nuts, milk including rice
Are they allergic to wheat? Do you need a gluten-free recipe? This recipe includes egg replacers as an option, is milk-free already, and you can use your favorite rice-free gluten-free flour blend. simply omit the nuts. Please note that this is a reader recipe; I have not tested it myself to ensure that the results would be optimal without both eggs and gluten.