This chai-spiced gluten-free apple bread recipe with photos comes from my friend Kim of Cook IT Allergy Free. It’s nutritious and breakfast-worthy, but also a real treat to make. Kim says it’s now in her family’s regular baking rotation.
This gluten-free apple bread contains a beautiful combination of flavors that will make your house heavy with all the smells of winter baking. Aromas of ground cloves, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom, and apples all come together to create a heady scent.
Almond flour and quinoa flour make up the base of this recipe, while the sweetness is imparted from the grated apples and organic coconut sugar. But the true magic comes from the warm blend of chai spices.
The streusel topping is also infused with these spices, in addition to the ground chia seeds, which are full of plant-based Omega 3’s. The rich complex taste of the coconut sugar ties it all together.
Special Diet Notes: Chai Spice Apple Bread
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, optionally egg-free, gluten-free, optionally-grain-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, refined sugar-free, vegetarian, and optionally vegan.
- 1 cup almond flour (see Flour Options below)
- 1 cup organic coconut sugar
- ⅔ cup quinoa flour (see Flour Options below)
- ⅓ cup potato starch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 large eggs (see Egg-Free Option below)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large apple, grated and drained well by squeezing the liquid out
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- ¼ cup organic coconut palm sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tablespoon ground chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/16 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/16 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/16 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9x5-inch loaf pan, and line the very bottom of the pan with a piece of parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, coconut sugar, quinoa flour, potato starch, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, sea salt, cardamom, ginger, and cloves.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the eggs until very foamy and fluffy (this will help prevent a flat loaf). Add the coconut milk, oil, lemon juice, and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and continue mixing on low until the ingredients are just incorporated. Gently fold in the well-drained grated apples.
- Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and even out.
- In a small bowl, mix together the coconut oil, sugar, ground chia seeds, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and cardamom.
- Sprinkle the streusel mixture over the top of the bread batter. Run a sharp knife down the center of the batter one time.
- Bake for 53 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean and the temperature at the center of the loaf is 208°F.
- Let the bread cool for a few minutes, then run a knife around the edges of the pan and remove the bread to a wire rack. Let cool completely before slicing.
Egg-Free Option: In a small bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons ground chia seeds and 6 tablespoons HOT water. Let sit for several minutes to gel. Use in place of the eggs in your recipe.