About a decade ago, a member of the Pamela’s team reached out to tell me that their easy gluten-free dairy-free pie crust recipe would work perfectly with my beloved dairy-free soy-free pumpkin pie recipe. It’s received rave reviews, so who am I to argue? Plus, it’s a quick recipe that uses just 4 ingredients – and you know how I love simple recipes!
Special Diet Notes: Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Pie Crust
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 1¾ cups Pamela's Gluten-Free Bread Mix (do not use the yeast packet)
- ¼ cup dairy-free buttery sticks (like Melt Organic or Earth Balance Soy-Free)
- ¼ cup shortening (can use a non-hydrogenated, RSPO-certified, organic palm shortening like Spectrum or Nutiva)*
- ¼ cup ice water, plus additional if needed
- Pour the bread mix into a bowl or food processor. Cut the buttery sticks and shortening into flour mixture using two knives, a pastry blender, or by pulsing your food processor until pea-sized pieces form.
- Slowly add the ice water until the dough comes together, and is not sticky. Add 1 teaspoon additional water if too dry.
- Roll out the dough between two sheets of parchment or wax paper. Peel the top paper off the dough and invert into a pie dish. Peel off the second sheet of paper. Gently press the dough into the pie dish and crimp the edges.
- Bake as indicated in your pie recipe, or bake unfilled in a 350°F oven on bottom rack for 28 to 30 minutes if you need a pre-baked crust.
Super yummie! Thank you!