These thin gluten-free orange pancakes were created by Katie Heddleston of Healthy Heddleston to compliment her delicious wild blueberry sauce. Did you know: Wild blueberries not only have a more intense flavor than regular cultivated blueberries, they also have two times the antioxidants!
Wild blueberries are available fresh in the summer months (enjoy them now!), but the frozen variety is available year round, and they are surprisingly just as healthy. Wild Blueberries are individually quick-frozen within 24 hours of harvest, locking in their intense blueberry flavor, nutrition and antioxidant power. So you can enjoy these gluten-free orange pancakes with the zesty wild blueberry sauce on any lazy Sunday.
Special Diet Notes: Gluten-Free Orange Pancakes with Wild Blueberry-Orange Sauce
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, and vegetarian. Just be sure to use a milk alternative and margarine or oil that suits your dietary needs.
For egg-free and vegan gluten-free orange pancakes, you can substitute your favorite egg replacer (powdered or ground chia are recommended) for the egg. Just be sure that the gluten-free flour blend you are using has some binder, such as xanthan gum. Also, you may want to add a little less milk alternative. Egg-free pancakes hold together a little better with slightly thicker batter. For vegan gluten-free orange pancakes, don’t forget to use your favorite vegan sweetener for the sugar.
This recipe was shared on the Gluten-Free Wednesdays blog hop on Gluten Free Easily.
- ½ cup frozen Wild Blueberries
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice*
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar (or honey)
- ½ teaspoon orange zest*
- ½ cup + 2 tablespoons gluten-free flour blend
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (or honey - add with wet ingredients if using honey)
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- ¼ cup plain or vanilla dairy-free milk alternative (your choice of type!)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon melted margarine (can substitute melted coconut oil)
- ½ teaspoon orange zest
- Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan and place on low heat while preparing pancakes. Stir occasionally. Smash wild blueberries to desired consistency.
- Whisk all dry ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl. Add all wet ingredients (including the zest) and whisk until well combined; the batter will be thin.
- Preheat a griddle or electric skillet to medium heat. Spray with oil. Make sure pan is hot before scooping batter. Pour batter by the scant ¼ cup onto the griddle into pancake shapes. Batter is thin so not much is needed for each pancake. Wait until pancake bubbles before flipping. Flip and cook other side. Continue process until all batter is used.
- Pour sauce over pancakes while warm.