Classic lemon bars are typically made with a butter, egg, lemon, and sugar filling on a wheat crust. But these vegan lemon bars blaze their own trail. They’re free of all dairy, eggs, and gluten, but still tender and zesty with bold citrus flavor.
This gluten-free vegan lemon bars recipe was shared with us by Enjoy Life Foods.
Special Diet Notes: Lively Vegan Lemon Bars
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, optionally nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian.
- 1⅓ cups water
- 1 teaspoon agar agar powder (see Agar Note below)
- ⅔ cup fresh lemon juice (about 3 large lemons)
- 3 tablespoon non-GMO cornstarch (if using arrowroot starch or tapioca starch, color and clarity will change)
- 2 (6-ounce) boxes Trader Joe's or Enjoy Life Soft-Baked Snickerdoodle Cookies
- 1¼ cups sugar
- ¼ cup plain dairy-free milk beverage
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest (from two large lemons)
- Powdered sugar, for garnish
- Line an 8×8-inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Pour the water in a medium saucepan, add the agar agar powder, and let it soak for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice and starch until the starch is dissolved.
- When the agar is done soaking, place the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring the agar mixture to a boil, whisking gently (do not incorporate any air) to prevent it from settling at the bottom of the pot. Boil for about 10 minutes, or until the agar is completely dissolved.
- While the agar cooks, press the cookies into your lined baking dish to evenly and completely cover the bottom.
- Add the sugar to the agar mixture in your pot and boil until the sugar is dissolved, about 3 minutes. Lower the heat to medium. Whisk the lemon-starch mixture again, and then whisk it into the agar mixture. Add the milk beverage and lemon zest, and whisk constantly but gently, until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. It must come to a boil to thicken.
- Pour the mixture into your prepared crust. Let it cool for 20 to 30 minutes, and then refrigerate for at least 3 hours, or until the filling is set.
- Slice the lemon bars into squares. Use a sifter or a fine mesh strainer to sprinkle the bars with powdered sugar just before serving. (The bars will absorb the powdered sugar if left to sit).
- Store leftovers covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.