This nourishing butternut squash soup recipe was submitted a decade ago by a reader named Rosey. Today I’m giving the recipe a revival, as it became a bit buried within our website. We call this soup “Golden” because the warm, healthy spice infusion of turmeric, ginger and pepper enriches the hue and reminds us of the popular beverage, Golden Milk. These spices along with other immune-boosting ingredients, pair beautifully with sweet butternut squash and creamy coconut milk for a comforting autumn dish.
Special Diet Notes: Golden Butternut Squash Soup
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free, grain-free, nut-free, peanut-free, soy-free, vegan, plant-based, vegetarian, and generally top food allergy-friendly.
- 1 tablespoon + 2¾ cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 medium garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 medium sized butternut squash, peeled and cut into about ½ inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- ¾ cup full-fat coconut milk
- Salt, to taste
- Black or white pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro or chives
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the broth in a medium soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, or until translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and continue to sauté for 1 more minute.
- Add the turmeric and curry powder and stir well. Stir in the squash and broth.
- Turn the heat up to high, and bring the soup to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low and simmer uncovered until the squash is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Place everything in a blender in batches, along with the coconut milk. Make sure you blend in batches filling your blender only half full. Start on low speed, so the hot soup does not erupt and burn you. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Thin the soup with a little broth, if needed. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and optionally garnish with cilantro or chives.
Some More Butternut Squash Recipes
Roasted Butternut Squash Muffins (optionally nut-free, soy-free & vegan)
Butternut Squash Quinoa with Arugula (vegan, gluten-free, optionally nut-free or soy-free)
Mac ‘n Peas with Creamy Butternut Squash Sauce (vegan, soy-free & optionally gluten-free)