Yesterday, the e-newsletter from Vegetarian Times showed up in my inbox. And within 15 minutes, I had their feature recipe for Golden Tofu on the go.
While most people in the northern hemisphere are probably noshing on raw salads, I’m craving something a bit warmer. At 58 degrees, completely overcast, and drizzling, it doesn’t really feel like summer here in the Northwest. That said, I still wanted something for lunch that used at least a couple of the seasonal vegetables stashed in my crisper, and that wasn’t too heavy. This golden tofu bowl recipe seemed like the perfect fit for my cravings and for the block of tofu that I had just purchased.
The tofu is first pan-fried in just a wee bit of oil to give it a golden and almost crispy exterior, and later returned to the pan to cook just a little more with the vegetables. The flavor of this stir-fry is savory, but mild. The seasonings are intended to compliment the vegetables rather than overpower them, but feel free to season to taste. Also, you can reduce the cooking times if you want your vegetables more on the crisp side.
From a health perspective, this plant-based meal provides quite a few nutrients. The tofu contains a good dose of dairy-free calcium and vegan protein, the vegetables are antioxidant-rich, and the fortified nutritional yeast is filled with B vitamins (including B12). And because it tastes good, you’ll enjoy eating it!
Special Diet Notes: Golden Tofu Rice Bowl
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, and vegetarian.
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, peanut oil, or your favorite cooking oil, divided
- 1 14-ounce package extra-firm tofu, drained, pressed to remove excess water, and cut into ½-inch cubes
- 4 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce or wheat-free tamari (for gluten-free), divided, plus more to taste
- 1 small to medium onion, chopped into 1-inch wedges
- 1 medium red, yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped into 1-inch wedges
- 8 ounces mushrooms, quartered or thickly sliced
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- ¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper, or to taste
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add the tofu cubes and toss them to coat with the oil. Cook for 8 to 12 minutes, stirring periodically, until the tofu is golden brown.
- Add 2 teaspoons soy sauce, and stir-fry the cubes for 2 minutes more. Remove them to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to your skillet and heat it over medium-high heat. Add the onions and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Add the bell pepper and stir fry for 3 minutes. Add the mushrooms, cabbage, and return the tofu to the pan, and stir fry everything for another 2 to 3 minutes. The mushrooms should cook and shrink a bit, and the cabbage will wilt.
- Add the nutritional yeast, remaining 2 teaspoons soy sauce, salt, and pepper, and stir-fry for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve the stir-fry over bowls of brown rice with additional soy sauce for seasoning to taste.