This naturally dairy-free, gluten-free grilled adobo chicken recipe was shared with me years ago by Cate O’Malley when we both wrote for a blog called Paper Palate. She adapted it from a recipe in Latina Magazine, and loved how easy it is to make. Just grill it up with some corn and potatoes for the ultimate weeknight summer meal.
Special Diet Notes: Grilled Citrus Adobo Chicken
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, top food allergy-friendly, and optionally paleo-friendly. But be sure to choose your chipotle chilis wisely. They often contain gluten, soy, or other allergens.
For a vegan option, this marinade can also be used on drained and pressed tofu or tempeh.
- 1 cup orange juice
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Mexican or regular dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Put the orange juice, lime juice, vinegar, chipotles with adobo sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper in a zip top plastic bag. Seal and shake to thoroughly combine. Add the chicken, seal, and massage to coat the chicken completely. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat your outdoor grill or ridged grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and place it on the prepared grill. Grill, turning once, until the juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 180ºF, about 15 minutes.
Key Pantry Supplies: Grilled Citrus Adobo Chicken