This naturally dairy-free, gluten-free grilled adobo chicken recipe was shared with me years ago by Cate O’Malley when we both wrote for a blog called Paper Palate. She adapted it from a recipe in Latina Magazine, and loved how easy it is to make. Just grill it up with some corn and potatoes for the ultimate weeknight summer meal.
Special Diet Notes: Grilled Citrus Adobo Chicken
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, optionally soy-free, top food allergy-friendly, and optionally paleo-friendly. But be sure to choose your chipotle chilis wisely. They often contain gluten, soy, or other allergens.
For a vegan option, this marinade can also be used on drained and pressed tofu or tempeh.
- 1 cup orange juice
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 (7-ounce) can chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon Mexican or regular dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs
- Put the orange juice, lime juice, vinegar, chipotles with adobo sauce, garlic, oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper in a zip top plastic bag. Seal and shake to thoroughly combine. Add the chicken, seal, and massage to coat the chicken completely. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat your outdoor grill or ridged grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and place it on the prepared grill. Grill, turning once, until the juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 180ºF, about 15 minutes.