Give the hamburgers a night off, and enjoy these citrus shrimp skewers as a lighter barbecue option. They are marinated in a trio of bright flavors: orange, grapefruit and lime juice.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Citrus Shrimp Skewers
As is, this recipe is naturally dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, and soy-free.
For variation, thread quick-cooking seasonal vegetables in between the shrimp, such as zucchini, or serve with a side of grilled vegetables or corn.
Note that the shrimp can be marinated or grilled with or without the shells. We just like the shells removed ahead of time for presentation and easy eating. This recipe for citrus shrimp skewers was shared with us by Gulf Coast Seafood and the Junior League of Mobile, Alabama.
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh jumbo shrimp (12 to 15 count preferably)
- ⅓ cup fresh grapefruit juice
- ¼ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cooked brown or white rice, for serving
- Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact.
- Combine grapefruit juice, orange juice, lime juice, cilantro, mint, salt and pepper in a shallow glass dish.
- Add shrimp and toss well to coat. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Drain the shrimp and discard the marinade.
- Arrange the shrimp evenly on 4 metal skewers.
- Spray a grill rack with nonstick cooking spray. Place the skewers on rack and grill, with grill lid down, over medium-hot (350 to 400ºF) heat for 3 minutes per side or until the shrimp turns pink.
- Serve over cooked rice.