This easy fiesta chicken makes a great weeknight meal in minutes, or a fun grilling recipe on the weekend. Serve it with corn tortillas and salsa, for a healthy taco-inspired theme or rice, if preferred.
Special Diet Notes & Options: Fiesta Chicken
This recipe is naturally dairy-free / non-dairy, gluten-free, egg-free, nut-free, peanut-free, and soy-free. Just use caution when selecting your Italian dressing.
For vegan / vegetarian: Substitute extra-firm tofu or tempeh for the chicken (only needs to grill with the vegetables) or go all-veggie, simply omitting the chicken and halving the marinade.
This recipe was shared with us by the Eat Wisconsin Potatoes Family.
- ½ cup prepared dairy-free Italian dressing (homemade or a brand like Annie's
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 4 whole chicken legs with thighs, skin on
- 1-1/3 pounds (4 medium) red Wisconsin potatoes, cut into 1¼-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into ¾-inch-thick slices
- 4 to 8 flour or corn tortillas, warmed (optional)
- Prepared salsa (optional)
- In small bowl, combine the marinade dressing, lime juice and chili powder. Remove ¼ cup and combine it with the chicken in a resealable plastic bag. Turn to coat. Marinate in refrigerator 30 minutes or up to 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in microwave-safe dish, combine the potatoes and water. Cover and microwave on high 9 to 10 minutes or until just tender; cool.
- When yjr potatoes are cool enough to handle, alternately thread with bell pepper and zucchini onto eight 10 to 12-inch skewers; brush with remaining marinade. Remove chicken from plastic bag; discard marinade from chicken.
- Grill chicken over medium to medium-low coals 30 to 40 minutes or until juices run clear, turning occasionally. About 10 minutes before chicken is done, add the vegetables to the grill; reserve the vegetable marinade. Grill until tender and lightly browned, turning and basting occasionally with reserved vegetable marinade.
- Serve chicken and vegetables with tortillas and salsa, if desired.