Tony and I try to avoid travel around busy holiday weekends. Instead, we use the down time to get organized, and I usually try a fun new recipe or two that I’ve seen online or in a magazine. This time, I think a grilled portobello sandwich is on the agenda. I recently discovered a delicious, dairy-free sourdough duo at Trader Joe’s that you partially bake at home. And those mini baguettes offer the perfect size and California-inspired flavor for this easy recipe.
This grilled portobello sandwich recipe with photo was shared with us by Sabra.com.
Special Diet Notes: California Grilled Portobello Sandwich
By ingredients, this recipe is dairy-free / non-dairy, egg-free, optionally gluten-free, nut-free, peanut-free, vegan, plant-based, and vegetarian. Please note that the hummus brand used here does contain soy.
- 4 portobello mushroom caps, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- ½ tablespoon olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 12-inch baguette (gluten-free, if needed), cut into two pieces and halved lengthwise
- 2 tablespoons garlic hummus (like Sabra Spreads Garlic & Herb or Roasted Garlic Hummus)
- 1 roasted bell pepper, cut in half
- 1 cup arugula
- Gently clean the portobello mushroom caps with cloth just prior to preparation.
- In a medium to large bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Add the mushroom caps and soak until they are saturated with marinade, about 1 hour.
- Remove the mushroom caps from the bowl and place on a plate. Sprinkle with smoked paprika and a few turns of freshly ground black pepper.
- Gently coat your grill, grill pan or large skillet with olive oil and heat over medium heat.
- Sear the mushrooms for about 2 minutes on each side, until cooked through and darkened in color.
- To assemble the sandwiches, coat the bottom pieces of the baguette with spread. Add the roasted bell pepper, arugula and cooked mushrooms.
- In a clean skillet over medium heat, sear the assembled sandwich for about 3 minutes on each side, or until the bread is heated through.
More Plant-Based Portobello Mushroom Recipes
Spicy Portobello Vegan Tacos with Cilantro Crema (vegan, gluten-free & allergy-friendly)
Mashed Potato Bowls with Creamy Cashew Gravy (vegan & optionally gluten-free)
Creamy Garlic & Mushroom Pasta (vegan, optionally gluten-free & allergy-friendly)